Thursday, June 19, 2008

A deep conversation with a 3-year-old

Dad's always asking for the "quote of the day" from the boys, so here ya go.
Tonight, after I put the boys to bed, I heard little foot steps coming down the stairs, and I didn't even have to turn around to know it was Luke. That's his thing lately, knowing he'll get some alone time with me. And he's so cute at that time of night, that I can't resist him. Especially since Derek's been working nights. I asked him what he needed and he said, "I have to tell you a question". "What is it?" "I'm hungry." So I gave him a banana and put him in his chair, and was about to go back to playing piano, when he began, "So, Mom-" I decided to sit down and listen, because he seemed very deliberate and serious. "Scooby Dooby Doo haves a real life and a fake life." In Luke-speak this means there is a version of Scooby Doo with real actors and a cartoon version. He went on to explain that he likes the "fake life" better because the "real life" movie is scary, but when he's an adult, he'll like the "real life" one. And since he had a captive audience, he kept going, telling me "And I kind of like Beauty and the Beast. That's weird." He was so cute, I couldn't believe how serious he was about our conversation.

Ethan's funny quote today was when we were reading a library book about Amphibians. There was a picture in the book of a car that could travel in water and on land, illustrating the definition of amphibians. Ethan asked if we could buy a car like that, and I said it would probably be expensive. His matter-of-fact response was that we could just look for one on Craig's List. Kids these days!

No comments: